RE: Re[2]: [ihc] Still Shocking...

## >> >> What about the rear?  There are no shocks on there now,
## >> and I'll be damned
## >> >> if I can find any mount locations...did these 1 tons come
## >> without rear
## >> >> shocks?
## >> >>
## >>
## >> RM> You hit the perverbial nail on the head.... no rear
## >> shocks from what I
## >> RM> remember.  I think it's something about if the suspension
## >> doesn't move any,
## >> RM> you don't need shocks! ;)
## >>
## >> My B140 has rear shocks.  David's obviously does not have the same
## >> provisions as mine as they are quite obvious.
## >>
## >> The lineset is evidence that it this B140 is a strange beast so
## >> perhaps rear shocks are not not the norm in those years?  Maybe the
## >> 2WD didn't get them and the 4x4s did?  Maybe, perhaps, possibly, ...

my B122 came with shocks at all four corners.  as it sits today, it still
has four lightly rusted and ancient looking bright blue shocks under it
bearing the IH logo and information stamped in the body.  i do not know if
they are replacements or if they are the original shocks from when it was
first built.  i do know that my dad never replaced them, *I* never replaced
them, and the service records from when it was a Railroad truck (they
originally purchased it) did not indicate the shocks ever having been
replaced.  it is possible that the Railroad employee that bought the truck
when they excessed it could have replaced them (he's the guy *we* got it
from about two months after he bought it), i have no way of knowing that...
but they sure *look* about forty and more years old.

anyway, when i did the axle swap from the '66 1500A, i discovered that the
1500A did not have any rear shocks at all (something i never noticed till i
decided to steal the axle).  the axle does not have shock mounts on it
anywhere.  the original RA15 from the B122 had a set of pretty beefy-looking
shock mounts on the U-bolt plates.  i never did fab up a set of shock
mounts, either, so the rear shocks are still just hanging under there from
the crossmember they mount to.  maybe someday i'll get around to putting
something together for them.  not that it'll do much good, those springs
don't have much articulation to them even under heavy load.

on a side note, the 1500A used a different overload spring mount setup that
was not compatible with the setup that's under the B, so when i swapped all
the rest of the hardware, i left the overloads out (i still have both sets
from the two trucks).  on the B122, they go under the axle to the inside of
the main springs on each side, where on the 1500A they went directly above
the main spring.  i'd just have used the U-bolts and plates from the B122
(and kept my overloads and shock mounts), but the new axle is larger than
the old axle, so they wouldn't fit.  i still haven't worked out a way to get
the overloads back under there, but as i said before, with those 1500A
springs, i don't think i really need them anyway.  it's just the principle
of the thing, you know?

usual nickel/grain of salt

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.