[ihc] RE: 6 lug to 8 lug

>Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:41:23 -0400
>From: Rocky Lear <rockylear@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] converting a 6 lug to an 8 lug?

>Does anyone know if there is any way to convet the big 6 lug pattern used
on a 68 and older IH over to a 69 and later 8 lug >wheel? I intended to use
tubeless 16 " wheels. Will the center hole even go over the bigger 6 lug hub
and/or drum? Any
>ideas?

Hmmm...if the bolt pattern doesn't match does it matter if the center hole
is big enough? ;)

Allan E and I have speculated for some time that the hubs from 6 lug and 8
lug rear D60's(IH applications) might interchange, so you wouldn't have to
swap out the whole axle. I want to say that Allan has more intel on that, I
just can't remember what it was. Hofs? 8^P

John, the disk brake Dodge axles I have measured are about an inch wide at
the spring pads compared with the IH spring spacing. This can be dealt with
a couple ways, and there are likely Dodge axles out there with different
spacing. The GM stuff is close enough that it's a bolt-in(with details like
drag link, shock mounts, etc).

At some point there was aftermarket support for the 6 lug pattern. I almost
bought a Travelall specifically to get a set of aftermarket 16.5" 'camper'
style wheels in 6 lug. Just couldn't force myself to the 880 corridor
through Jokeland again to do it!

Jim