RE: [ihc] David's dilemma some more

## >> I would try to get a front axle that already has a flat top
## >> passenger side
## >> knuckle if possible. The best steering upgrade for a B would
## >> be integral
## >> power steering, and it sure looks like crossover steering
## >> would be the way
## >> to go. You'd need a Saginaw box that mounts completely inside
## >> the frame
## >> rail, I've seen Dodge and Ford vans that looked like possible
## >> donors. Seems
## >> like some Ford full size trucks are also candidates.

hey Jim (and/or anybody else), what about the original factory power
steering that was available for the B series?  do you have any knowledge or
experience with those?  the B182, which i've acquired from Joel, has one of
those setups, albeit in a slightly dysfunctional state at the moment.
apparently it uses an engine-mounted hydraulic pump and some sort of
hydraulic ram which is supposed to be mounted, as near as i can tell, to the
drag link (currently the ram isn't mounted to anything at all, it's just
hanging under the truck).  it still uses the regular manual steering
hardware otherwise.  eventually i want to get this setup put back together
and working again.  but i'd like to know what to expect once it's
operational once more.  any hints or pointers you might have that you can
share?

also, what if somebody wants to do a power steering conversion on an old
B...  how much more or less difficult would it be to go with the original
ram type power steering versus the integral power steering setup you
mentioned here?  would it even be practical to go with the old original
style, assuming a full setup could be found?  or, even if you had all the
parts, does it work as well, or better, or worse, than the integral newer
types?  are there advantages or disadvantages between the two that we should
be aware of?

this overly inquisitive mind would like to know.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.