[ihc] David's dilemma some more

>Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:18:41 -0700 (PDT)
>From: DennisMillward <dentropy@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [ihc] The truck that shouldn'a been bought. Or, B130 parts,

>Condolences.  I have a 63 C1200 and am commited to my
>axles for now as the tires are fairly new and cost
>$600.  If I were to do it again I would probably go
>with the gm axle swap.

I would try to get a front axle that already has a flat top passenger side
knuckle if possible. The best steering upgrade for a B would be integral
power steering, and it sure looks like crossover steering would be the way
to go. You'd need a Saginaw box that mounts completely inside the frame
rail, I've seen Dodge and Ford vans that looked like possible donors. Seems
like some Ford full size trucks are also candidates.

>I like Tom M.'s idea on blocking the rear up
>to match the front.  Is that any issue with towing?

In general, hitch height is your enemy for a stable, well mannered consist.
In David's occasional use application with a proper setup, likely no real
concern.

>Per titling issues[felonious suggestions removed]

Jim's observations on the licensing dance - What the DMV doesn't know won't
hurt them(or you). No one knows what the PO's signature looks like. There is
always another form to fill out. Different DMV clerks will create different
paper trails to accomplish the same thing. Someone eventually comes up with
a 'get out of jail free' form. In CA, that one's usually the 'statement of
facts'. I find that with less than stellar paperwork, it is often easier to
register an out of state vehicle by  not mentioning that it's from out of
state. Here, it then falls into the category of 'vehicle for which DMV has
no record'. That paperwork is pretty simple, 'tho' it does require a
verification of the VIN.

Jim