[ihc] Michael's Diesel starter

>No problem.  I tried to start it, pressing the pedal full throttle
>after
>priming everything, and once I let the starter go a couple turns, >it
stuck on again!!!

Michael,
  I'll start with this fact: I've never worked on a diesel.  Ever.
But, given the basic function of the starter solenoid, I have to
start wondering:  There must be a small terminal on this starter,
which activates the solenoid when power is applied.  Now, have you
connected a test light to the wire you are connecting to this
terminal (when it ISN'T connected to the starter) and confirmed
that this light is only on when the key is in the start position,
and it goes off when the key returns to the run position?
'Cause if it stays on, then the starter is doing exactly what
it should be doing.  As long as power is applied to the solenoid,
it stays energized, and keeps the starter spinning.

In the case of the diesel, I don't think you have the second
small wire that is on a gas engine, since there is no distributor/
coil/ignition setup.

Maybe you've already been over this and I forgot (memory is the
first thing to go)?

As a bench test, I would expect you can connect a ground wire to
the starter, and connect a small wire to the solenoid terminal
only.  This should kick the drive gear out when the solenoid
activates.  When you remove power, it should spring back (retract).
Since you are not applying the power to the starter motor,
it should not spin during this test.  Note that I'm assuming it
is similar to the standard GM style starter using on 304/345/392's.

I hope you find a solution soon.

Allan W.