RE: [ihc] Need instructions for ScoutII to 800 Frame Swap

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Moore [mailto:baradium@domain.elided]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 8:52 AM
To: Ed Sohm; 'Christine N. Gust'; ihc@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] Need instructions for ScoutII to 800 Frame Swap

>Chop off the end of the scout II frame
behind your 800 body and put the crossmember that goes at the rear end
back
in place (so cut out a section of the rear, not just lob off the end).

I think you would be chopping off the rear spring mounts if you did that
along with the fuel tank, which I need, and messing up the mounting for
a receiver hitch.  I don't plan to chop it off.  I'll make a plate to
cover it like the pic on Fleck's site.  I think it is 6 inches or so.

>I think the hardest part would be getting the 800 body centered and
located
right on the scout II frame.  Should be able to overcome anything else.

I think the easiest part would be getting the body centered. 'Course I
have a Gantry Crane in my shop (Thanks Mike) so setting the body on and
off and on will be easy. Getting steering and such hooked up could get
into trouble and $.  What does a Borgeson cost?  What if the rad hoses
won't work?  Holes for shifters don't line up?

>BTW, it'll be the same to put power brakes on the 800 after the swap as
it
would be to put a scout II m/c on the 800 now!   Remember, you'll have
the
same firewall and body parts!

I can alter an inner fender cheaper and easier than I can put discs on
my closed knuckle 30 with 27 ends or swap a D44 on.

>The swap won't solve all your problems either because you'll need to
keep
the 800 fuel tanks because you'll be cutting off a good chunk of the
area
where a scout II tank mounts.   If the power brakes is the reason for
the
swap, the swap itself won't solve the problem, but I guess you'll have
everything apart to make it easier to solve.

If I follow your plan and chop the rear of the frame, it sure wouldn't.
FWIW, none of the 800 body on SII frame projects that I have seen pics
of have chopped the back off of the frame.

>IIRC you'll have to notch an inner fender to clear a brake booster
unless
you just put a scout II manual brake master cylinder in place.

Not done yet, but I have pretty much everything laying around.  I
believe the only thing I am lacking for the whole project is a ScoutII
oil pump for the motor I want to use when(if) I do this project. Well,
and body mount bushings, it would be nice to know what to buy.
Hopefully someone who has done it speaks up so Robert and I can get
started. If we were closer together, I would offer my help if he wants
to be guinea pig.  I want mine to go fast once I start as it is a bad
time of the year for the 800 to be torn apart.

You had the Melling number for the SII pump, right?  Can you give it to
me again?

Ed