Re: [ihc] Need instructions for ScoutII to 800 Frame Swap

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Sohm" <idaemes@domain.elided>
To: "'Christine N. Gust'" <dukkha@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 08:54
Subject: RE: [ihc] Need instructions for ScoutII to 800 Frame Swap

> Robert,
> I'm interested too.  I've got an 800 with a bad master cylinder, leaky
> fuel tanks, and a leaking steering box.  I also have a '79 II chassis in
> the corner of the shed ready to go. Oh, to have power disc brakes and
> power steering on my little Scout. The ScoutII setup fixes all my
> problems.  I just can't bring myself to spend $200 on a master cylinder.
>

> The times this has been talked about on the BB, there was a lot of talk
> about the II frame sticking out the back.  If that is the biggest
> problem, I'm ready.  I can't believe it is though.
> The consensus seemed to be that you had to build in a 1-2" body lift.
> More kick-up in a ScoutII frame somewhere.  Sounds too easy, I know.
>
> Fleck has done one, right?
>
> Ed

That'd mean more kick-up in front and rear then.  I think it's about the
same height between front and back.

The scout II frame may be a different width IIRC, so the biggest problem is
having to make your own body mounts.  Chop off the end of the scout II frame
behind your 800 body and put the crossmember that goes at the rear end back
in place (so cut out a section of the rear, not just lob off the end).

I think the hardest part would be getting the 800 body centered and located
right on the scout II frame.  Should be able to overcome anything else.

BTW, it'll be the same to put power brakes on the 800 after the swap as it
would be to put a scout II m/c on the 800 now!   Remember, you'll have the
same firewall and body parts!

The swap won't solve all your problems either because you'll need to keep
the 800 fuel tanks because you'll be cutting off a good chunk of the area
where a scout II tank mounts.   If the power brakes is the reason for the
swap, the swap itself won't solve the problem, but I guess you'll have
everything apart to make it easier to solve.

IIRC you'll have to notch an inner fender to clear a brake booster unless
you just put a scout II manual brake master cylinder in place.

-Ryan

---