Re: [OLDIHC:] Re: [ihc] wheels again, dual>single conversions?

David Raistrick wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Tom Mandera wrote:

Your "problem" is, if you want a 1T truck, you'll need a 1T front end..
and they're not cheap.
Excellent!  That gives me a start, at least.  Now, the rear axles on the
4x4..they have the diff section offset from center, don't they?  So I'd
need a 2wd 3/4 or 1 ton rear axle with reasonable gears..4wd front...
You'll be hard pressed to find a 1T 4x4 with an offset rear axle these days. Any "Big3" from 1970+ will surely have a centered rear diff, and even going back before 1970, most everything ran a centered rear diff.

The oddball is old Jeeps and Scout 80s with a Dana 18 diff used an offset rear - but they're not 1Ts. You'll also find some fullsize Jeep trucks and Cherokees with an offset rear when equipped with Quadratrac or some such.. but again, not too common.

The simplest axle to find is a GM 14-bolt.. it's hard not to trip over them in most junkyards.