[ihc] Wheely David

>Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:16:04 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Raistrick <keen@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] wheels again, dual>single conversions?

>Can anyone identify what truck these wheels might have come from?

Look IH to me, 120/1200 series. Other makes used the 'big 6' pattern, but
I've only ever seen them in duals.

>The bolt circle is /not/ flat. Instead, it "domes" outward, away from the
>drum surface, in the area of each lug hole.  All holes are chamfered in
>the same direction.

Typical, I've heard them referred to as 'coined'. The intent is for the
wheel to hold tension against the lug nuts, guarding against sloppy torquing
of the nuts. Or so I'm told...

>First down to the level of the drum's bolt circle, then further, into the
chamfers around the studs, as well.

There's your problem, I think.

>Has anyone out there converted a dually to run singles?  I did some
>measuring, and found that the rear track of the truck is 4.5" narrower
>then the front track, right now. (this takes into account the difference
>in tread width of the front and rear tires).

That amount of track difference is pretty normal. It's even likely that the
rear axle width is the same single vs. dual.

>Since the duals have 6" of backspace, the front drums must be much wider
>then a truck that started life with singles up front, right?

Adding to Greg's comments, the 2WD fronts that I've seen going back to the
D-15('38) I had use the dually offset wheel in front. The extra outward
spacing is built into the hub outboard of the brakes.

>Do IH trucks normally have a 4" difference in track?

Lots of trucks do, including Ferds and Chubbies.

>Sticking with 2wd, that means I need a solid front axle from something, and
a 1 ton or 3/4 ton 2wd rear end.
>Short of an F450, I'm not finding anything that's got disc front brakes on
a solid front axle....any suggestions?

The Ford stuff is too far out in spring spacing, I've measured. What you
want is a mid '70's motorhome front axle from a Dodge or possibly Chevy
chassis 1 step heavier than the IFS stuff(Class A coach). I know where
there's one, on a deserted mining claim in the beautiful Amargosa Valley :)
It was more than a little inconvenient to remove and carry, not to mention
the 'heat treat' was suspect as the thing had burned to the ground!

Trust me, I have inspected/measured every likely suspect I could find over
the past several years. I've got this 1310 dump truck project, see....and I
*really* don't want to buy a D60 for it. I wouldn't mind an IH D70,
especially now that Greg's spilled the beans on the W400 brakes :)

You may find that you're OK with the 12 x 3 drums on a D70(which were 8 lug
after '68). That's what's on my 1210 Travelall, which is a heavy beast and
tows a lot. 'Course I don't live in the middle of the Rockies like *some*
people ;)

If you swapped out to 8 lug axles from a 1300/1310, I believe you'd also get
14" brakes on the RA-15.

Jim