Re: [ihc] Wheely David

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 15:33
Subject: [ihc] Wheely David

> >Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:16:04 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: David Raistrick <keen@domain.elided>
> >Subject: [ihc] wheels again, dual>single conversions?
>
> >Can anyone identify what truck these wheels might have come from?
>
> Look IH to me, 120/1200 series. Other makes used the 'big 6' pattern, but
> I've only ever seen them in duals.

WWII Power Wagons (and maybe later?) use them for one.   Single wheel of
that size 6 lug... with offset rear diffs... beefy looking axles.  There's a
professor here who is restoring one (driving project).  He brings it to the
airport occasionally.   Not a parts source even if brakes are the same
though... since parts for those things are worse to find than for the IH
application!  There is a volunteer fire dept around here with two of them...
neither runs because they got to the point where they didn't have enough
parts between both of them to keep one on the road.  Along the same lines
there is a 2.5 or 5 ton 6x6 sitting at another station because they can't
put brakes on it... find a source for brakes and someone could get ahold a
working 6x6 cheap...

<snip>

> Trust me, I have inspected/measured every likely suspect I could find over
> the past several years. I've got this 1310 dump truck project, see....and
> *really* don't want to buy a D60 for it. I wouldn't mind an IH D70,
> especially now that Greg's spilled the beans on the W400 brakes :)
>
> You may find that you're OK with the 12 x 3 drums on a D70(which were 8
lug
> after '68). That's what's on my 1210 Travelall, which is a heavy beast and
> tows a lot. 'Course I don't live in the middle of the Rockies like *some*
> people ;)
>
> If you swapped out to 8 lug axles from a 1300/1310, I believe you'd also
get
> 14" brakes on the RA-15.
>
> Jim

Are you going back and forth between front and rear axles now?

Or do the dana 70 8 lug rears have the 12x3 brakes?

-Ryan

---