From: Greg Hermann [mailto:bearbvd@domain.elided]
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 2:11 PM
To: Ed Sohm; oldihc@domain.elided
Cc: ihc@domain.elided
Subject: RE: [OLDIHC:] Re: [ihc] wheels again, dual>single conversions?

At 2:58 PM 5/10/04, Ed Sohm wrote:
>It seems like that would be hell on wheel bearings, a spacer and all.
>Especially on a vehicle meant to carry a heavier load.  I understand
>being able to use the same rims and all, it just looks weak to have all
>that leverage on the wheelbearings.
>
>Ed

Ed--

The wheel bearings are in the SAME location relative to the tire's
contact
patch--and the track is the same-- the only differences are the lateral
location of the  wheel mounting flange on the hub and the backset of the
wheel.

There is no change at all in the bearing loading or the steering
geometry
when the correct wheels are used with the correct hubs. It's when you
start
swapping from single to dual type wheels without understanding all the
details that the trouble starts---

Greg