[ihc] Diesel Starter running on

Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 18:54:20 -0500
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] Starter running on

Okay-I wrote for advice on this about two weeks ago-the last time I had time
to tinker with it, but now have some new info.

This is all on a '77 Diesel N/A Scout II set-up, w/auto trans.

First, I went out, tried to start it again just to see if it hadn't
decided to
"slip into" a working condition while I had let it sit.  It immediately stuck
on, starting glowing red hot and smoking, etc.  By the time I got the cable
off, the mounting plate for the terminal was literally melting!!!  I couldn't
believe it!  And this was a brand new battery!

Anyway, obviously it still sticks.  However, I decided to take it out and try
to put a little grease on the starter gear and see if that didn't allow it to
release, as was mentioned by Allan E, I believe.

Well, While I had it out I decided to test it again while out of the block,
and this time it did spin, but the starter gear did not slide up the shaft-it
sat still in place inside the housing, and thus, would not seem to be able to
turn the engine over.  Now it was definitely turning the whole engine over
while I had it in there, but wondered if there was some reason for this.  I
thought it was mainly a centripetal/centrifugal kind of force that caused the
starter gear to slide up and engage the flywheel in the first place, so I
figured while out of the engine, it should work even better than while in the
engine.

Is this wrong?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael,

There is no spacer in or on a Diesel Scout starter regardless of the type
of transmission it is/was equipped with.  Both versions used the same
unit, and it installs the same on both as well.

I would ask what was replaced, did they put a new gear on the starter?
Odd would be good that could cause it to stick due to interference with
the ring gear teeth.  Another would be they installed the wrong solenoid,
and it has more "throw" than the original.

The place that overhauled your starter has performed some sort of faux-pas
in the rebuilding process of your starter im my opinon.  I would recommend
that you take it back to them, and explain the problem.  Odds are good
they already know how to fix it.  If you keep fiddling about with it, you
will only damage it further.

Keep on Dieselin',

John