[ihc] RE: Tips & tricks

Tom, I haven't tired of using the hand pump for gear oil yet. I *did* tire
of re-filling the quart bottles tho', so now I use it in the gallon jug. It
won't evacuate the whole jug, but that's OK with me if I can fill a t-case
in one trip under the truck.

If you use the ubiquitous blue 5 gal pails for both waste oil and your fresh
50W motor oil, paint the top of the new oil bucket some obnoxious color so
you won't inadvertently dump used oil in it. Don't ask me how I know this...
;(

Coolant changes? Always, always, always pull the block drains. IH SV-8's
especially seem to collect PILES of junk at the bottom of the water jackets.
I have a block where the cylinder H2O jackets are at least 1/2 filled with
packed rust & muck. Backflush with the drains out, re-install and backflush
some more.

I won't bore you with a redux of my cover gasket procedure :)

Jim