Re: [ihc] Methods of Work - Dana 20 Lube

Originally, I used a small "oil jug" attaching hand pump to fill my transfercase with lube.

That got old, quite fast.

It's hard to get a jug of any type into position with a nipple end on it to fill the case - and impossible if you have an early side-fill Dana 20 and a V8.

Salvation comes in the form of:

One quart plastic oil container, bottom cut off.
One "nipple"/cone cap from a 1Qt gear lube container
3' or so of 5/16 or 3/8" fuel line

You might add a hose clamp for good measure, and it's helpful to drill/poke a hole or two in the top sides of the cut open oil jug, then use some tie-wire or a bungee on it to hold it in place.

The technique is to remove the transmission tunnel cover, or just a shifter boot (T'case or manual transmission).

Route the fuel line through the tranny tunnel and down under the rig.

Crawl under the Scout, remove fill plug, and stuff the fuel line into the hole.

Place a catch-pan undernearth.

Topside, suspend the half-oil jug via the holes.

Now open your jug of 50wt Valvoline motor oil (the recommended lube for a Dana 20) and pour it into the empty oil jug. The oil flows into the jug, through the nipple, into the fuel line, and eventually into the transfer case.

This is NOT the fastest method, but it's the easiest. Just keep topping up the "funnel" until you see a stream of oil running off the transfercase and into the catch pan.

You're done.

I usually find something else to do while the 'case is filling. It's usually not at all hard to find something else that needs my attention. :D

-Tom