Re: [ihc] RE: Tips & tricks - Lube

Jim Grammer wrote:

Tom, I haven't tired of using the hand pump for gear oil yet. I *did* tire
of re-filling the quart bottles tho', so now I use it in the gallon jug. It
won't evacuate the whole jug, but that's OK with me if I can fill a t-case
in one trip under the truck.
Mostly I grew tired of the pump getting greasy/oily, and me having to use one hand to hold the output tube in the transfer case, and wind up holding the jug against my chest and using my other hand to pump it.. which resulted in Tom covered in oil. The pump always seemed like it took some effort to work it, too, and there's not a lot of room for leverage under a vehicle (then again, most of 'em are taller now..).

My "funnel" approach takes more time to finish the job, but takes less of *my* time to do it, and it doesn't involve laying on my back for very long. ;)

For the same reason, I bought an air powered grease gun. One hand on the hose, one on the trigger.

NO dirty grease gun against my chest while I work the pump. :D

Of course, I also try to keep the air grease gun cleaner than I did my old hand-pump unit.

-Tom