Re: [ihc] RE: Shifty Mandera, air brakes

Jim Grammer wrote:

Don't see how yer gonna avoid it. The Loadstar 5spd on my pallet rack has a
'gentle swan's neck' bend in the shifter. The light line unit next to it has
darn near a 90deg bend at the bottom to get it out from under the dash.
It's sounding more and more like I'm going to have the T98 for a while longer. ;-)

I need to check the T98 for the rear mounting hardware to determine if I can even use the correct tail-housing mount. If so, I'll try to convert the truck to use the right tail mount, but keep the T98.

I can then get measurements to clue me in on just how/where the rear output of the transmission should be, to determine the height of the T-35 bracket I need to build.

That'll also give me time to impose upon a friend with a torch to customize the shifter. I'll take a truck T19 shifter with me for comparison.

You need 2 accessories to mount like that, the generator and a big rig air
brake compressor. Or, you could just install a hydraulic pump and quick
connects front/rear and run whatever the heck you wanted to at both ends ;)
I'm curious how the big-rig air brake compressors know when to cycle on/off.

Also, speaking of air brakes..

I've been thinking that a Chevy 6-lug brake rotor might mount up to the outer circle on my output flange (it's 6 on 5.5 pattern) for a disc-brake conversion parking brake.

Since I have to fab the transmission mount bracketry anyways, I could just extend the bracket UP a bit more and cut it to accept a brake caliper.

Easily done with a Chevy caliper, but then you're still stuck with a hydraulic system. A motorcycle cable operated unit seems a bit weak for the job.

But.. a semi-truck air brake caliper might be a good solution. Remove the air supply, and it applies.

'course, I don't have an air brake handy, and I can't remember in any detail what they look like, either. :) For that matter, I'm not positive they're using disc brakes these days..