Re: [ihc] 800 4 speed problems

> --
> I finally got around to putting the 4 speed into my 67 800 this
> weekend. The truck has a 196 and orginally had a 3 speed. I the
> correct short shaft 4 speed, matching bellhousing etc. that I pulled
> from a parts truck a couple years ago. Anyhow, getting to the point I
> have the bellhousing bolted on, but I don't seem to have enough
> clearence for the linkage rod to pivot, thus I can't move the
> throughout bearing. It's unfortunatly been so long since I took the
> truck that the tranny came from apart that I can't remember what
> everything looked like. If anyone with a 4 cylinder 4 speed truck or
> who has worked on one could offer some insight I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Dave-

I am not "seeing" some of what you are saying, but it sounds like the age
old "throwout bearing" difference is the problem.  There were a couple of
different sizes of the throwout bearing themselves, and even trying to
"logic out" which one to use in my head before hand did not allow me to
figure out which one to use-I ended up changing them, thinking it wouldn't
work, and it did, though I never figured out WHY!!!

Also, once on one of the "longer" style throwout collars, the forks for
shifting got behind the groove where it should have been, and though looking
up from underneath in the dark, it LOOKED like it was in the right place,
and moved things back and forth and moved freely, it was NOT in the right
place, and thus, did not move things ENOUGH.

Now you are probably NOT seeing what I am trying to say either, but my first
reaction is that the throwout bearing is not right somehow!

Michael