[ihc] Added to the fleet.

Gentlemen and ladies,

I drug home a couple more IHs in the last couple weeks.  A '73 1210 and
a '73 200, both 4wd, neither has a motor. Both are pretty rusty, typical
for Iowa.

The full story is that they were purchased for their motors by a
gentleman who used to restore IH tractors.  Due to health reasons he can
no longer be around paint and has taken to putting SVs into IH tractors.
He started with a 345 from an 815 combine and installed it into a 560
that had a bad motor.  He is now getting ready to start on a Super M.

We worked a decent deal on the remains of the pickups where I supplied
him with a bunch of parts he needed and some cash. In that deal I also
traded the 345 out of my Travelette for the 392 out of one of those
pickups.  The guy wanted a 345 and I wanted a 392 <shrug>.  So my truck
has been down for 2 weeks with no motor.  I want to check out the 392,
paint, and reseal it before installing so I started installing a
different 345 on Friday night.  The wife and mother in law had taken the
kids to the circus so I got it in before they got back at 11:00 pm or
so.  Finished bolting stuff up Saturday afternoon and fired it.  Ran
like hell.  My wife congratulated me and offered to take me out for
dinner to celebrate the occasion. She just wanted to go out, tricky
wench. After church yesterday I tuned it and that truck has never run so
good.  I proceed bragging.  Hey, what is that puddle underneath she
asks. Dang, antifreeze leaking from a softplug behind the fuel pump.
Boy that would have been easy to replace when the motor was out. Nice to
know this motor runs so good though. I can take my time checking out the
392.

As much as I hate to see rigs parted out, their parts will live on.  I
believe I will convert a 2wd 1210 to 4wd for a good friend and end up
with the beater farm/extrication truck I have wanted for years too.  It
gets mighty cold hauling round bales of hay to the horses on a tractor
in the winter.  I know, I should haul them closer before it gets cold.
Flatbed with a bale spear and I will be happy in any weather.

I noticed that the Perkins truck had disappeared last week one day.  It
reappeared Saturday.  I talked to the owner this morning.  He had it at
the mechanic and says it is running much better. There was a hint of "it
is still not right" which I took to mean that it runs great, but is not
built right.  Like geared too low so it tops out too soon is my opinion.
He wants $1500, which the body alone is worth, sharp truck.

Ed Sohm
Battle Creek, IA

'71 800 B
'74 200 4X4 Travelette Camper Special