Re: [ihc] Going Up!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Shubin" <pshubin@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Cc: "Shubin, Pete" <pshubin@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 02:18
Subject: [ihc] Going Up!

> Its time to lift my '72 Scout II.  I'm at one of those rare points in my
> life when I will have the time to do the work and actually have a little
> extra money to pay for the parts at the same time.
>

> I'm pretty much set on Triangle springs with 4 inches of lift and know
what
> other fixes and modifications I want to do as part of the process.  Prior
> modifications include a 2 inch body lift, AMC V8 conversion, and wheel
well
> widening.
>

> Scheduled as part of the lift process are;
>
> * New drive shafts - The old slip joints are over worn anyway.
> * Front Dana 44 - Anyone need a Dana 30 with bad drum brakes and
> 3:73's?

I have stock shafts with my triangles?

> * New tires and wheels - Probably 35x12.5s on the cheapest steel
> wheels I could find.  I may even spend the money to go with 16 inch rims
so
> the tires will match the others vehicles I own.
>

> Soon to follow the lift changes are;
>
> * Power steering conversion - I'm waiting until after the lift so I
> can see what steering box to use.  I may want to find a taller one (lower
> pitman arm position) from some other vehicle to help correct steering
> geometry issues.

My steering geometry seems fine to me with a stock box.

4
> degrees?  6?

Just as a general note...  my service manual specs the dana front ends as
having 1 degree of castor.  Of course it then says acceptable range is +/-1
degree, but anyway.... yeah, doesn't really help.

I think 3 or 4 degrees would be good, but that's just me and I'm fine with
my scout's stock caster too...

<snip>
> * Where should/can I get the Triangle springs?  If someone knows of a
> stiffer spring please let me know.

I got mine from SSS, don't know if they are the most economical place
though, probobly also depends on where you live to see if you can save on
shipping.

Thanks,
Ryan

---