[ihc] 727 Rebuild & Shift kits?

My trany  is starting to act up. I'm getting some shutter in first (maybe torque converter) and sometimes it will not go in to first, but will go into reverse. The fluid is is burnt and it leaks. I can get it rebuilt for $150 plus parts by a trany tech for Dodge, who will do it on side. What are the best components for the rebuild? Alto? Raybestos, Borg Warner? How about shift kits? Transgo? B&M? And torque converter stall speed?
As alway any info is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

R.T. Sekhon
1979 Scout II
Dallas,TX