Re: [ihc] 727 Rebuild & Shift kits?

At 5:55 PM 3/25/04, R.T. Sekhon wrote:
>My trany  is starting to act up. I'm getting some shutter in first (maybe
>torque converter) and sometimes it will not go in to first, but will go
>into reverse. The fluid is is burnt and it leaks. I can get it rebuilt for
>$150 plus parts by a trany tech for Dodge, who will do it on side. What
>are the best components for the rebuild? Alto? Raybestos, Borg Warner? How
>about shift kits? Transgo? B&M? And torque converter stall speed?
>As alway any info is appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Alto Red or Raybestos Blue. Get new steels with the 'kynar ' (??)
(nitrided) from Alto.

If you look around a bit, you can get the stuff to run an extra disc in the
clutches and a wider kick-down band.

There is a band actuation lever around that gives more leverage.

Try talking to Rick Allison at A&A transmission--somewhere in Indiana-- he
knows them well.

One of the RV type, high mileage converters is a good bet. Look for one
with a drain plug, needle bearings, and furnace brazed fins--

There are wider ratio (2.77/1.55/1.00) planetary gearsets available if you want.

Greg