Re: [ihc] 727 Rebuild & Shift kits?

I rebuilt mine a few years ago. I bought the rebuild kit and converter from my local Daaco-Detroit parts place.

> bearbvd@domain.elided (Greg Hermann) wrote:
> Alto Red or Raybestos Blue. Get new steels with the 'kynar ' (??)
> (nitrided) from Alto.

I asked for the heavy duty stuff and I was pointed to Alto, and they were red. I don't know about the other things. I
replaced all bushings (most came with kit and I got a couple more that were additional) and  all springs - springs were
obtained from a Chrysler dealer.

> One of the RV type, high mileage converters is a good bet. Look for one
> with a drain plug, needle bearings, and furnace brazed fins--

I asked for their "Tow Master" converter. It came with a drain plug, and it had the starter ring gear on it too (it
does not interfere with anything), - not sure about the other things.

I have abused this tranny and it is still holding up OK.

Make sure your pump is in good shape.

PS - If you want to submerge your tranny in deep water crossings (half way or 3/4 the way up the wheel and higher)
relocate your vent, now, while the tranny is out.

- Jim in Mesa
Jim In Mesa - James Lidberg
jameslidberg@domain.elided
'79 Scout II/4X4/345/Edelbrock 1400/727/D20/3.07 open/PS/PB/4"Trailmaster
Copyright 2004 All rights reserved