Re: [ihc] Mandera side mount

Joel M Brodsky wrote:

Tom,
      You know that the Optima told me directly that the side mount
terminals were only intended for accessories and low current starters as
they are rated at a current much lower than the top posts.

Just FYI.
They told me never to use the side posts for winching.
I'd heard that before.

I guess I wasn't clear.

I use "side mount battery cables" on my Scout. My batteries are top-mount only.

Odd, you think?

I run a "battery to terminal" cable from the battery to the Ford solenoid.

Output of the Ford solenoid is the "terminal" end of the "side battery" cable.

I use the "battery" end of the "side post" cable on the primary feed stud of the Delco starter solenoid. I use one of the "accessory" crimp-connectors/pigtails on the side post cable to connect to the "S" terminal of the Delco solenoid.

I do NOT use a cable attached to a side-post battery to my starter.

I use a cable *for* that application, but I use it improperly. :D

Mostly, it's handier than a "solenoid to starter" wire, and it has the bonus of coming with a little pigtail lead on the end that works for jumping to the "S" terminal.

-Tom