Re[2]: [ihc] Re: "stuck valves"

$500 is about right.  That's approximately the cost when I did a
re-ring on the 345 in my "IHWillys" five years ago.  I replaced the
cam,timing gears, lifters, valve springs, rod,cam,main bearings.  A
gasket set on top of that.  I did nothing to the oil pump as it was
putting out good pressure and still is.

Some particlulars on the 345 I re-ringed:
112,000 miles on it, broke a valve spring, in investigating this I
found HUGE amounts of rust under the valve cover.  The oil returns
were completely clogged with approximately 2 tablespoons of rust
particles each.  The entire inside of the engine had surface rust.
This engine had sat outside for years apparently.  I had changed oil,
tuned it up and drove it until the valve spring broke(about 6 months).
Then did the re-ring.

New rod bolts are a good idea, though I have yet to do so on the 6 or
so re-ring(and thus new rod bearings) jobs I have done.

Ken