Re: [ihc] Turnign SD33 By Hand

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, James Tennant wrote:

> You shouldn't have any problem turning the motor over by hand.  Although
> it's true that diesel motors run a much higher compression ratio than
> gassers, from my experience working on larger diesel motors, they seem
> to turn over easier as long as they are cold.  As far as putting
> lubricant in the combustion chambers, I wouldn't.  You run the risk of
> damaging the motor later on when you try to start it.  Many diesel
> motors have whats called a "Mexican Hat" style piston which has a small
> bowl in the top of it that forms the combustion chamber.  Most likely if
> your motor has this type of piston any lubricant put into the cylinder
> will go into the bowl instead of where you want it.

Don't claim to know much about diesels, but am familar with a procedure
call "pickling," I've observed used on marine diesels.

Again I'm no expert, but have been told that pickling is used to preserve
marine diesels which are not going to be operated for some period of time.

The process apparently consists of filling the cylinders with diesel fuel
prior to storage.

IIRC, the diesel fuel used to fill the cylinder(s) is expelled by removing
the injector and spinning the engine with the starter until the excess has
been purged.

Sounds messy, especially in a boat engine room environment.

Re-install the injectors, and crank it up.

Anyway, my point is that once the cylinder walls had been washed down by
the diesel fuel, I would think that some re-lubrication would be called
for, e.g. squirting some oil on the cylinder walls.

You're certainly not going to foul any spark plugs. <g>

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided