Re: [ihc] Wrangler NW alternators?

At 12:48 PM -0700 3/3/04, Greg Hermann wrote:
The Delco CS 130 and 144 are NOT what they are rated as, by a stretch. Get
either in a hot environment, and loaded up for a while, the most they will
make is about 60-70 amps--until they shoot carps.
Thanks for all your thoughts, Greg. That's why I was shooting for a quality 'replacement' unit, particularly one which made good power while hot -- Wrangler claims 75 amps at hot 675 idle on their 140 model, 95/100 at 900 rpm., which is actually closer to my idle speed. And a high-idle circuit is in the works.

If you have the room, install a Leece-Neville 130 amp unit. It will make
130 amps, MINIMUM, all day long, under vile conditions. Also has an
adjustable, integral regulator. You can rebuild one, including new diodes,
triode, regulator, brushes and bearings, for about $125 in parts.
Sounds like a good deal. As a diesel, I need a tach output, I assume these would have one, no?

A good source is dead school busses.
Aha! A good reason to go prowling the junkyards. Can't pass up a good old-school buss. ;-)

Greg
Thanks again, Greg.
JoelB

--
Joel Furtek <http://homepage.mac.com/heelsroll>; jf7e@domain.elided
Boatman, Virginia Women's Rowing 434/981-6811 (cell); 434/975-CREW (boathouse)