Re: [ihc] 74/75 Starters Update to clarify

Tom,
      Since the threads are fixed in the block I can only think that a
slight misalignment may result from the shim or the bolt holes in the
starter itself.
If this is the problem, the fact remains that the starter needs to come
out, or at a minimum loosen the top bolt.  If I can loosen the top bolt and
the problem goes away, then I'll push the starter to it's mounted limit and
re-torque the bolts.
I'm going to look at using the gear wrench, if I can find one singly
available in 5/8".  I may have to grind the outer shell
of the gear head to fit the application.  I'll check used tool places on
Friday.

How does one determine if the shim is needed?:
I would guess, engage the starter with a power source while outside of the
truck, and measure the pinion 'stick-out' while power is connected?

JoelB

                      Tom Mandera
                      <tsm1@domain.elided>         To:       Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
                                               cc:       John Hofstetter <hofs@domain.elided>, ihc@domain.elided
                      02/25/2004 02:33         Subject:  Re: [ihc] 74/75 Starters Update to clarify
                      PM

Joel M Brodsky wrote:
> Tom,
>       Yes I used the shim.  The starter that came out had it, so I
figured
> I should puti t back in.
> -JoelB
> -why do you ask?

I was wondering if, sans shim, that would cause the starter nose to
engage too deep and there might be an intereference resulting from that..