Re: [ihc] Tools, tools, tools

=From: Ted Borck <tborck@domain.elided>
=Subject: Re: [ihc] Tools, tools, tools
=snippq=

=As you well know, attempting to use a floor jack to R&R a 727 or 4 speed
=and transfer case will probably result in (at best) damage to either the
=trans or transfer case.

=Not to mention what might happen to adjacent parties.

=Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided

Well, I tend to agree Ted, because I also have used many a floor jack to R&R
at least a couple dozen trannys over the years before I got smart (weaker)
in my old age and started using a tranny jack. Renting or borrowing one is
a must for any tranny job now.

The last one I did with a floor jack was a 727/D20 on a SOA SII. Lots of
room under the truck. I bolted a 12x12 flat piece of 1 inch plywood to
the top of the floor jack where the cup goes, then attached a 2x4 on each
side of the plywood to make a "cradle". I then ratchet strapped the trans/D20
combo to the plywood thingy on the floor jack. Who needs a stinkin tranny
jack? :-)

I used a long piece of (2"?) ship mooring line tied to one framerail, under
the trans/D20, and over the other framerail to control the descent of the unit
should it decide to plummet to the floor. I do have pictures of this fiasco.

I was actually able to R&R the combo without killing myself, but that was the
last time without a tranny jack.

Mac,
Scout IIs, Travelalls, and pickups all have the trans tunnel cover too.
Its a life saver in some situations.

Mike Toney
Mobile, AL.
Southern International Harvester Owners [S.I.H.O.]
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/southernihowners
72 Scout II, 4x4, 304, T18, 3:31
73 1010 Travelall, 2wd, 345, 727, 3:54
http://www.myinternationaltrucks.iwarp.com/