Re: [ihc] 74/75 Starters Update to clarify

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Joel M Brodsky wrote:

> Ryan, the starter shim looks to be an adjustment to the pinion DEPTH,
> not the radius. the diameter of the ring gear is different from an
> automatic to a manual? Wow, I never knew that. How many teeth difference
> in the gear, because that would mean a different pitch on the pinion
> gear on the starter. Does the starter come with another number to
> specify this difference?

No, same starter - w/727 uses shim.

You can run the starter *without* the shim with a 727, but you'll hear
intermittant interference between the spinning flex plate ring gear and
the stationary starter bendix gear.

I recently heard this problem while riding on my nephew's swamp buggy in
the Everglades on Christmas Eve. (Well - we don't have snow down here - it
was a South Florida version of a sleigh ride.)

He thought it was the fan hitting the fan shroud. He now has a starter
shim.

"Old Scouts never die - they just wade away."

I need to dig up those photos and FTP them to a URL.

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided