Re: [ihc] 74/75 Starters Update to clarify

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>
Cc: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>;
<tsm1@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 12:59
Subject: Re: [ihc] 74/75 Starters Update to clarify

> Ryan,
> the starter shim looks to be an adjustment to the pinion DEPTH, not the
> radius.
> the diameter of the ring gear is different from an automatic to a manual?
> Wow, I never knew that.
> How many teeth difference in the gear, because that would mean a different
> pitch on the pinion gear on the starter.
> Does the starter come with another number to specify this difference?
>
> JoelB

I just know becuase I was watching some guys messing with an adapter on an
SV.  The adapter was meant to go from SV to GM auto still using the IH
flexplate.  They were wanting to use an SV manual tranny flywheel with a GM
NV4500 bellhousing and dodge input shaft (exact amount longer than the GM
shaft to take up for the adapter).  They found out that the adapter wouldn't
fit completely onto the motor because the flywheel hit the adapter around
1/4" or so (maybe it was 1/8", but I want to say it was 1/4") all the way
around the radius.  They made a comment about that being the case due to the
flywheel's larger radius.  Standard disclaimers apply there though, it's
hearsay, so it might have just been a messed up adapter.

Either way, I've always been told that the sole reason for the spacer is
because of the difference in auto and manual transmissions.

In fact, in the BB faq, it says the starter spacer is for auto transmission
scouts.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/18.htm#11

Under "auto to manual conversion" and "manual to auto conversion."  The
spacer is specifically for the difference in auto and manual transmissions.
Says remove it when going from auto to manual and don't reinstall it and
says to find one and install it if you are going from manual to auto.

-Ryan

---