Re: [ihc] Electric Engine Fans

Allan Ericson wrote:
The fan Tom has on his vehicle draws a tremendous amount of power. Most of
them don't pull anywhere near that much. On an 800, you just don't need that
big of an electric fan. The one you want will be about 80 bucks at any parts
store.
On the flip side, I've also heard the fan I'm using, while drawing 30-40amps running, is near the top of the pile as far as ability to do what the fan is supposed to do - move air.

Most of the aftermarket fans fail to even come close.

My fan was $25 (IIRC) from the junkyard.. and there's plenty more where it came from. :)

63 amps is about one horsepower. You use the fan when you are delivering
mail, and you shut it off when you hit the highway on the way home. If you
want, you can hook up a controller for about 100 bucks that will turn it on
and off by engine temperature.
I think my fan controller was $40-$50. There was also the 50amp circuit breaker, and the two 30amp relays in parallel to provide juice to the fan.

I'm relatively happy with the setup with a stock 392. At 100+F ambient temps, I only had to stop and let it cool once, which was during the climb over Independence into Leadville, pulling a trailer.

This fan did NOT go too well with my 406cid 9+:1 392.. at all. Partly because it was still getting broken in, partly because it just makes more power.

Originally, the only reason I installed the electric fan was because deep shrouds for the 74/75 trucks are hard to come by (I do have *one*), and the assortment of mixed n' matched motor/tranny mounts in my Travelette won't let me run the shroud right now anyhow. The Taurus fan was an experiment of sorts, and a necessity at the same time.

I'm leaning towards putting the clutch fan and shroud back on when I finally change out the tranny mount n' such and get the right assortment of 74-75 correct parts in.

I'm also thinking I do want to keep a smaller electric fan in place, though. I've found it useful for cooling the engine during fuel stops.

I realize we're principally talking about a 196, which this fan should have no problems with.. but for anyone thinking of a built 392.. think hard. :D

-Tom