RE: [ihc] need some advice on possible scout purchase

Michael, Greg, Andy, John, Tom, Jim... and anyone else who responded that I
forgot... I appreciate the comments. I haven't posted for a while to thank
you or ask other questions due to a family emergency that had me a little
distracted... But "Thanks!". Very helpful thoughts and suggestions.

I am going to go ahead and buy the Scout. The decision was cemented when I
told the guy last week that I couldn't "deal with it" right now, and to go
ahead and sell it to someone else if he could. His response was he wants ME
to have it, doesn't care when I get it, doesn't care when I pay for it, is
flexible on the price... So, uh... it's... MY SCOUT. Cool, eh? I feel like
I've "arrived" or something.

One more question: I thought Warn hubs were standard on this model ('67
800), but this one has "Dual-Matic" hubs on it. They were there when the
seller bought it 10 years or so ago. They seem to work OK, but I'm wondering
two things: does anyone have personal knowledge of these? They're the kind
with the two opposing blades that swing out for locking/unlocking the hub,
and then fold back in again for use. Are they well built? And: is the
company still in business? I can't find them on the web, and I can imagine
needing a rebuild kit and/or parts at some point.

Thanks again, -John A.

> John M. Adams
> Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 12:37 AM
> To: ihc-digest@domain.elided
> Subject: [ihc] need some advice on possible scout purchase
>

> I could use some advice on a potential purchase. There's a 67 800 for sale
> in my neighborhood, and I'm more than tempted... I've plenty of
> work on the
> Travelall yet, and not a lot of spare time, but... Let me just ask if you
> think it's a reasonable price: He wants $800. Odo reads 35K, so
> likely 135K.
> It's mechanically sound, but the body is rough. It has the 196, 3 speed
> manual, Dana 44 rear, 30 front, unknown ratios, dual tanks. Runs great,
> drives well, everything works. He has the "pickup" style (halfcab?) top on
> it, but it's from a Scout 80, and doesn't fit properly. He also
> has the full
> size 800 top, in the yard under snow. There's rust (floors and fender
> wells), and bondo, and primer, but no major dents or crumples in the body.
> It would be quite a project for me to get it looking decent... As you can
> probably tell, I'm not experienced with Scouts. I love the lines of the
> earlier models, and have always wanted one, but this one? Does it
> sound like
> it's worth $800? Don't know what they are worth... I'm not looking for a
> Scout II, and the 80s and 800s don't come up all that often, so
> like I said,
> I'm tempted... Any and all thoughts appreciated, guys. Thanks, -John A.
> ---
---