Re[2]: [ihc] need some advice on possible scout purchase

The Dualmatics are a good hub.  They have one major fault, they allow
the operator to screw up and only engage/disengage half the locking
mechanism leading to failure of the hub under stress.  If they are
used properly, they are strong.

These hubs work very differently than the Warn type.  The levers are
connected to a "cylinder" that has a notch machined out of the side to
allow a sprocket to pass without touching it.  If the cylinder is
spun, the sprocket is engaged to this cylinder.  The levers are used
to spin the cylinders.  Two levers per hub means two cylinders.  The
sprocket is internal to the hub and rides on the axle stub.  When you
spin a cylinder using the lever, you positively lock/unlock the hub to
the axle.  Nothing slides back and forth due to spring pressure as in
a conventional hub.

For the mentioned operator error above I recommend one simple mod.
Paint the side of the levers that are marked "locked" a bright color.
When the hubs are dirty or it's dark or we just don't want to kneel
down in the mud/dirt/whatever, the condition of each
cylinder(locked/unlocked) can be difficult to see. as the only way to
easily tell is to read the marking on the levers.  So make the side
that says "locked" or "engaged" a bright color.  This way you can
easily tell if all the cylinders are in locked/unlocked position.

Turning just one lever will lock the hub albeit in a strength
compromised state.

Dualmatics were made in Longmont CO and are no longer manufactured.

Ken