RE: [ihc] oil bath filters

Well, nobody expects the dust to "fall out of the air", that's not how it
works.  The airflow through the oil blasts the oil into a mist inside the
air cleaner.  If there is enough small oil droplets they will contact a
sufficient portion of the airflow and enough dust will be removed to protect
the engine.  The dust will stick to any oil it touches, the trick is to have
enough droplet so that all the dust has a chance to hit the oil.

Thought experiment:
If there are just two large droplets, it is clear that all of the air won't
touch the oil, most of the air will just go around.  As you increase the
number of droplets, you increase the surface area of the oil and give the
air a better chance to touch some oil.  If you can make a nice wet oil mist,
it will work very efficiently.  This is exactly what a wet scrubber is for a
power plant and they are *very* effective.  They are also large and power
consuming (pumps & nozzles to make the mist).  An oil bath air cleaner on an
engine does not make anywhere near as effective a mist.  Therefore it is not
as effective.

I've seen them on cars (like my Dad's 50 Ford).  I don't know why they were
used there (maybe paper filters of the time were really bad or failed in
really wet weather, does anyone know?), but they were on tractors because a
paper filter of the time would be hopelessly clogged by the heavy dust.  In
the case of tractors, those engines accumilated a lot of hours and the
filters were good enough.  With normal maintenance those engines survived
just fine.

Steve