Re: [ihc] Fwd: Open air filters, what fits?

on 2/10/04 11:59 AM, Ryan Moore at baradium@domain.elided wrote:

> I'm one of the weird people who keeps to the closed element style so I can't
> help you there though.
>
> -Ryan

RT, I don't know if you spend a lot of time in the dust, or not. I've become
convinced by guys who have collected visual evidence that the K&N filters
let a lot more air through, but they also let a lot more fine dust through.

They convinced me to look at the area of the filter housing inside the
filter, and yes, quite a bit of dust settles in there. If it's there, it's
also going down the pipe, so to speak.

This from a guy who has used K&N filters since the beginning of time.

On my Scout I use the paper filter, and on my Dodge truck I use the Amsoil
filter. I think the foam addition to the Amsoil probably really does help
keep the dirt on the outside.

FWIW

John Hofstetter