Re: [ihc] Nick's 3 wheeler

Hi Jim,

Yes this is a Scout II.
Napa Premium bearings and collar were installed on both axles at a napa store in Kent Washington about 4 or 5 years ago. I had it up on a hoist in August and movement (end play) was not excessive. There were no unusual noises prior to a loud bang and the axle was gone.

I replaced the axle and bearings (including races) on both sides with the ones in the used axle I bought after cleaning, inspecting and regreasing. They are Timken bearings. The bearing on the original axle from the other side was still in very good shape so I will keep it for a spare.

Nick

Jim Grammer wrote:

Nick -

Glad you're OK on more than one count :)

This is a Scout II, right? Why'd you have to go and lose an axle within a
couple days of my bearing R&R post? :(

First thing I'd do is get a set of fresh Timken Set10's on those axles(or
Greg's uber-Link Belts), pull the inner seals if present, and over-fill the
diff. Swapping to a cover with a higher fill plug makes this easier. Front
covers from a high pinion Bronco have the highest fill plug I've seen, GM
and Jeep fullsize front covers are somewhere in between the Bronco and the
stock SII cover.

Folks have been reporting the Lock-o-matic friction shoes as
obsolete/unavailable for a number of years now. I'd try NAPA for the washer

Jim