Re: [ihc] Possible Scout purchase - advice requested

Ryan Moore wrote:

> [...]

That doesn't seem too bad.  Especially considering I usually have close
to 2 feet of space unused in the rig (i.e. 2 feet deep x the width of
the truck) I should be fine.

<cut>
> adding
> > >
> > > He's probobly right,  I know full sized pickups with manual brakes and
> even
> > > with discs up front.   I personally don't know if discs would be
> extremely
> > > important just because it seems like it's lasted this long as a mail rig
> > > with front drums, but that's your call
> > >

> > I've driven an old mail jeep with 4 wheel drums, and the experience was
> > less than satisfying, shall we say?  Again, it's a safety/performance
> > issue.  I'm not worried about getting up to 90MPH, but I've got to be
> > able to stop.
>
> That's your choice of course.  I've never had bad experience with drums all
> around, prefer disks, but the drums have worked for what I've used them for.
> Although I imagine it's a bit different with the constand stop and go
> driving of a mail route.

I prefer disks too.  Is it a foolish investment?  Perhaps.  But as Mr.
Hofstetter once said "Overbuilding may be dumb, sometimes.  But never as
dumb as underbuilding."  (That quote may not be exact - I'm too
tired/lazy to look it up.  But you get the point.)

> think

> unique
> > >
> > > The transmission will be 152 specific.  However, I imagine that since
> the
> > > B/W have a removable bellhousing that it's simply the bellhousing in
> your
> > > case that will be unique.  I think essentially everything else is 304
> except
> > > the obvious stuff like the crank and cam.
> > >
> > > Anyone remember if the 800 152 and 196 tilt are the same?  If they are
> the
> > > same in an 800 you could bolt a 196 right up.
> >
> > Would it be possible to transplant a 727 into this rig, then?  Since
> > there are 196-powered 727 rigs out there?
> >

> Only if you plan to change the tilt of the motor, scout II's use a different
> tilt than the scout 800s.

Scratch that plan.  Too expensive.

> with
> ask

> > > Well, he does list a scout II too if you are worried about keeping part
> > > interchageability....
> > >

> > It's not part interchangeability I'm worried about, really.  It's
> > availability.  And buying that Scout II puts me in the same boat I'm in
> > now.  Acquisition costs aside, the most appealing thing about the 800 is
> > the projected gain in fuel economy.  (The galvanized body is a close
> > 2nd, though.)  I'm getting about 7MPG with the Scout.  (I've got the
> > last 37 fill-ups tracked, with a total average of 7.516MPG, but it's
> > 7.013 for the last 20.  I'm on track to spend almost $2000 on gas per
> > year.)
>
> Keep in mind, the 800 won't get that 20mpg figure on a mail run.

Yeah, but considering most reports I've gotten on the 258 put it in the
12-15MPG range, I'm guessing the 152 should get me 10-15 MPG.  I was
getting 10.9MPG with the Cherokee, and that was considered outstanding
by some.  At least the USPS pays good milage money.  (Oh, no wait -
that's right.  They don't.  We get $0.39/mile.  Somebody driving down
the interstate gets $0.375/mile.  Tell me how you'd feel.)

> > > I've been told that the B/W auto still has parts availible so I wouldn't
> > > wory too much on that end.   Havn't heard of anyone ever having trouble
> > > finding 152 parts either.
> > >
> > > Keep us updated with what you decide on the matter.  Are you
> contemplating
> > > ditching the cherokee completely?
> > >

> > Yes.  That's what makes this plan work, actually.  I can sell that for a
> > fair bit more than the 800 will cost.  Which would then be used to add
> > seats and A/C to the Scout II (maybe even fuel injection - since it'll
> > be a "normal" car I might want the performance boost.)
>
> Oooh.... A/C....  chilly...  You could also consider a progressive weber
> 2bbl carb... have heard that the guys with the 4 and 6cyls love those
> things.

Try driving around in Florida in the summer without A/C.  I did it on
the Cherokee because Chrysler was unable to fix it.  Not as big a deal
on the Scout (those vent windows, man.  They're worth an easy $1000) but
still it would be nice.

Dave

PS- I'm getting those MailServer Notifications too.  Could it be
Earthlink's Spamcops?  (AT&T had virtually no spam control to speak of.
I just changed ISPs, so if it's me I'll try to stop it.)