Re: [ihc] Possible Scout purchase - advice requested

Ryan Moore wrote:

> [...]

Regular Cherokee.  It's a '99 RHD Cherokee.  Not a GRAND Cherokee, the
next size down.  The one that was just replaced with the Liberty.  And
while I appreciate the reference to the Bronco, I haven't gotten a good
look at one in years, so that comparison isn't helping me much.

> > Reliability/repair - it sports a 152 and Borg Warner auto tranny.
> > Probably an underpowered combo, from what I've heard.  But for mail
> > delivery I'm thinking should be fine.  I doubt if I'll ever need to get
> > it up over 45MPH.  What do you guys think?  John reports that the engine
> > is in great shape and the truck is route ready.
>
> I drove an SD-33 N/A traveler with an auto tranny and it pulled fine as far
> as I was concerned.  Not a speed demon by any means, but still an alright
> setup.  The reason I mention this is because I've been told an N/A SD-33
> supposedly has similiar power numbers to a 152.  The rig in question had
> 4.09 gears.

I think John said this has 4.88 gears, but that's totally off of my
(usually faulty) memory.

> > _IF_ I have a problem with that engine or transmission, how difficult is
> > it to get repairs done?  (In the Scout II I have a 258 with a 727, and I
> > wanted that combo for this reason.)
>
> Don't know about the b/w auto, but the 152 should be easy to get repairs on,
> it's simply half a 152 so pretty much all the parts are bolt up.
>
> > I've already asked about making some changes to the truck.  Front Disc
> > brakes are, IMHO, required for mail delivery.  Better performance,
> > easier maintainence.  John can do the conversion, but feels that adding
> > a power booster would be unnecessary at that stage.  What are your
> > thoughts on that?
>
> He's probobly right,  I know full sized pickups with manual brakes and even
> with discs up front.   I personally don't know if discs would be extremely
> important just because it seems like it's lasted this long as a mail rig
> with front drums, but that's your call

I've driven an old mail jeep with 4 wheel drums, and the experience was
less than satisfying, shall we say?  Again, it's a safety/performance
issue.  I'm not worried about getting up to 90MPH, but I've got to be
able to stop.

> > Power Steering should not a problem.  Additional fuel capacity (I think
> > it's got a 10 gallon tank right now) shouldn't be an issue, and the
> > vaccuum wipers can be upgraded to electric.
> >
> > What's it like getting parts for the rear brakes?  My understanding is
> > the 152 is 1/2 of a 304, but are there any exotic parts that are unique
> > to the 152?  At some point in the future I may run into problems with
> > the engine.  Would a 196 be a feasible replacement, or am I married to
> > the 152?
>
> The transmission will be 152 specific.  However, I imagine that since the
> B/W have a removable bellhousing that it's simply the bellhousing in your
> case that will be unique.  I think essentially everything else is 304 except
> the obvious stuff like the crank and cam.
>
> Anyone remember if the 800 152 and 196 tilt are the same?  If they are the
> same in an 800 you could bolt a 196 right up.

Would it be possible to transplant a 727 into this rig, then?  Since
there are 196-powered 727 rigs out there?

> > Honestly, the more I think about it, the fewer problems I can find with
> > this plan.  I'm looking for reasons to NOT do this.  Since I really
> > can't find any, I feel like I'm missing something.  I'm trusting John
> > that the vehicle is in great shape.  Any specific questions I should ask
> > him?  Any feedback on this, any at all, would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Well, he does list a scout II too if you are worried about keeping part
> interchageability....

It's not part interchangeability I'm worried about, really.  It's
availability.  And buying that Scout II puts me in the same boat I'm in
now.  Acquisition costs aside, the most appealing thing about the 800 is
the projected gain in fuel economy.  (The galvanized body is a close
2nd, though.)  I'm getting about 7MPG with the Scout.  (I've got the
last 37 fill-ups tracked, with a total average of 7.516MPG, but it's
7.013 for the last 20.  I'm on track to spend almost $2000 on gas per
year.)

> I've been told that the B/W auto still has parts availible so I wouldn't
> wory too much on that end.   Havn't heard of anyone ever having trouble
> finding 152 parts either.
>
> Keep us updated with what you decide on the matter.  Are you contemplating
> ditching the cherokee completely?

Yes.  That's what makes this plan work, actually.  I can sell that for a
fair bit more than the 800 will cost.  Which would then be used to add
seats and A/C to the Scout II (maybe even fuel injection - since it'll
be a "normal" car I might want the performance boost.)

And like I told John, I'm coming here for advice, so you guys will know
the decision I make.  Be it good or bad.

Dave