[ihc] Joel's hick-steer

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:35:08 -0700
From: Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
Subject: [ihc] High steer for Scout II

Anyone know what the best price is for new outers to allow high-steer on
Scout II front ends?
What about application?  What kinda parts am I looking for in yards, etc?

Can I just put the Ford outers on?  The ones on the truck website listed
below have integral steering arm, not a bolt on.

Seems like most folks are separating the terms 'high steer'(everything on
top of the steering arms)and 'crossover steering'(drag link from pitman arm
to passenger side, several possible mounting points for that end).

Flat top knuckles are found on some(not all) GM live axle D44 equipped 1/2
and 3/4 ton trucks back to at least '72. '74 and '75 IH 100/150's also used
them, but it's a shame to cannibalize those as they are perfect for swapping
disk brakes into an earlier IH full size(like an A series T-all ;) ). New
knuckles are available from Parts Mike and others:

www.partsmikeparts.com/knuckles.htm

Using the Parts Mike 8 hole knuckle rather neatly solves the problem of
using SII parts from the spindle out on a GM 6 hole spindle. I'm not a fan
of re-drilling the caliper mount/spindle or the knuckle, 'tho' it *has* been
done.Otherwise, you can use a GM spindle/caliper mount/caliper and Ford 1/2
ton hub/rotor. There is also a Ford 6 hole spindle out there in 1/2 ton TTB
trucks that would work, but it does not have the register ledge on the
outside for a caliper mount. Probably not an issue, but FYI.

I haven't seen a Ferd knuckle that would work.

There are several long threads on the 'new' BB Tech Talk about high steer,
usually in conjunction with a full size axle swap. Lots of pic's as well.

Plenty of choices in steering arms. Parts Mike, Shaker Built(
www.shakerbuilt.com ), etc.. Heck, Fleck will prolly pop up and say 'wait, I
sell those'.

Jim