[ihc] darn gas

Reapers,

   Yesterday, on the way to work, I was rocketing down the snow covered
highway doing around 50 or so and started loosing power  like it was out of
gas. I knew I had a full tank of gas, so I figured it was a filter problem,
but; I was hoping to make it to the train station and into work. That way I
could worry about it after work.

   Well, you know that was not to be. I died on the way UP an overpass. In
the dark.

   Naturally, my Mag light was in my garage and my spare filter elements
were also in the garage.

   I called my dad to bring me a light, but; by the time he got there it was
light. I managed to get the truck to start, after 40 minutes of sitting on
the bridge, and made it to the bottom of the bridge. Just as I was reaching
into the engine to look at my glass filter, my dad pulled up. I grasped the
filter in my hand and started to pull it up a bit when a plumb of gas spew
out of the fuel line. I quickly shut off the truck and started to check the
rest of the line. All six clamp points has cracks and splits in them and you
could see the hard lines through them.

    Fortunantly, I had a nice long, albeit frozen, piece of fuel line in the
tool box. My dad threw it under the heater in his car while I removed the
old one.

   After replacing the entire section, from nylone line to carb, I had no
more problems with the truck and I got to work 1 hour late.

   Now, the old fuel lines were not that terrible old, however; they do run
from the nylon line on the fender skirt, up past the exaust manifold, over
the valve cover, then into the carb. This is alot of heat exposure. What
options are there, other than running steel lines from the fender skirt to
the carb? Stainless braided lines? AN lines? I know that is what Richard
would recommend. Any other thoughts?

Dan Nees

cookiedan@domain.elided