Re: [ihc] Diesel Scout Info

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Shaw, II" <josephshaw@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 07:35
Subject: [ihc] Diesel Scout Info

> I am getting ready to try to bring the Scout diesel I got back to life.
It
> has not been run in about a year, I believe.  What suggestions are there
> before I start tinkering?
>
> And where is the little manual hand pump to make sure I have fuel all the
way
> up to the injector pump?
>
> Also, this was a '77 Scout II.  It is a non-turbo.  It was swapped into a
'67
> Scout body, so not everything is quite as it was.  SOOO-how long does the
> ignition need to be on for warm up usually before the glow circuit is
ready to
> go?  I am not sur eif I have lights to warn me as it is currently set up,
so I
> wanted to ask a general consensus on that one.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael

You should have a glow plug button to turn on the glow plugs, just having
the key on won't do anything.  There should also be a fuel pull off knob
somewhere to turn the engine off (turning the key off won't do that either).
In the diesel scouts the key turns your starter and turns on your
accessories in run.  Other than needing to be turned over (and possibly on
for the glow plug button (otherwise known as the "trucky button"), but I
think the glow plugs are just wired to a always hot source) the engine
doesn't care if the key is on or off.  They might have rigged up something
if there isn't a button, but I don't know how they would have as the
original setup doesn't have an automatic cutoff for the glow plugs.  Button
pushed they are on, button not pushed they are off.

IIRC the pump should be on the firewall on the engine side, but who knows if
they located it there or not.  There are two styles.  One has a rubber push
thing that you push like a button repeatedly, and other has a lever on it.
One of them might be integrated into the injection pump, but I don't
remember.

Here is a link to the nissan diesel starting procedures:
http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/4.htm#3

Here's a parts number list:
http://bbs.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1467

As far as what to do after it's been sitting, I recommend using the search
function on the BB, if you can't anything by searching post to the diesel
talk section and they'll help you with it.

I believe I've said this before, but congrats on finding a scout with a
diesel!  I'd like to find one myself for daily driver duty.   I'd also like
to see this rig sometime if that's possible (IIRC you are in Spalding county
or thereabouts aren't you?).

-Ryan