Re: [ihc] RHD Power Steering (again)

on 1/23/04 7:54 PM, David Bongo at dbongo@domain.elided wrote:

> As for the noise/vibration I've been experiencing: it has been
> intermittent, and of varying degrees of severity.  The noise is kind of
> like the grinding sound of two piece of metal rubbing against each
> other.  Anyways, today there was a particularly intense example of
> this.  I felt a vibration through the floorboard of the cab.  The
> steering wheel did vibrate some, but there was not a significant amount
> (if any) of additional resistance.  Directly underneath me is the frame
> rail (obviously) and a power-steering cooler I installed a few months
> ago.  I kind of doubt the cooler would be capable of producing that kind
> of noise and vibration.  Could it be the gearbox transmitting through
> the frame?

David,

Have someone, or you, check the front wheel bearings. Noise made by the
bearings can be transmitted in weird ways.

Being a slow learner, I tore down two transfer cases that sounded bad, only
to find that they were OK, and my problem was front wheel bearings. The
first time was understandable, but I still can't believe that I got sucked
in twice.

John