[ihc] Re: ihc-digest V7 #306

22:54:41 -0500
> From: David Bongo <dbongo@domain.elided>
> Subject: [ihc] RHD Power Steering (again)
>
> I called Coonrod's IH Parts, as suggested, and he did NOT have the RHD
> P/S box.  I asked if he knew of anything else that would work, and he
> said "no."  I also asked if he knew of anyplace that might have one, and
> again he said that I should just try everybody.  "It'll be hit and miss,
> mostly miss."  (Almost a direct quote.)
If you can r&r yours, there is a company in seattle called "REDHEAD GEAR"
that will rebuild pretty much anything you bring them, they can't be the
only ones who will.

> As for the noise/vibration I've been experiencing: it has been
> intermittent, and of varying degrees of severity.  The noise is kind of
> like the grinding sound of two piece of metal rubbing against each
> other.  Anyways, today there was a particularly intense example of
> this.  I felt a vibration through the floorboard of the cab.  The
> steering wheel did vibrate some, but there was not a significant amount
> (if any) of additional resistance.  Directly underneath me is the frame
> rail (obviously) and a power-steering cooler I installed a few months
> ago.  I kind of doubt the cooler would be capable of producing that kind
> of noise and vibration.  Could it be the gearbox transmitting through
> the frame?
I would recommend you get underneath the truck and have someone turn the
wheel back and forth lock to lock. look at the output shaft out of the
gearbox, if it wobbles back and forth as well as twisting then the bearings
are indeed failing this would also cause the leak because the shaft moves
back and forth in the seal.

> Lastly, as I've mentioned before, the apparently welded draglink makes
> me a little uncomfortable.  But I could be overreacting.  If I am unable
> to to procure a legitimate RHD P/S box, should I look into getting a new
> custom (non-welded) draglink?  Or is this one probably OK?  (Reminder: I
> have a '74 RHD Scout II with a LHD P/S box mounted inside the rail on
> the RH side.)
>
> Dave

I would thing that a welded link wouldn't matter so much, unless it was a
lousy job.

Paul 62 scout 80 (with it's own draglink issues)