Re: [ihc] RHD power steering questions

Ryan Moore wrote:

> [...]

Yes.  I just mistyped that.

> > frame.  This necessitated the use of a shortened draglink.  The pump is
> > leaking slightly (very slightly, it requires topping off every 2 weeks)
> > but there is a vibration when turning to the right.  It only happens
> > some of the time, not all of the time.
>
> Check the ball joints and wheel bearings of course.  Also look at the engine
> while it's running and see if any of your pulleys are virbrating.  I have a
> bad outermost crank pulley on my scout which was causing me some problems
> for a while (running off of the waterpump now until I can get my replacement
> installed).  IIRC, it gave me a slight pulse in my steering.

I had the whole thing checked out, and it was all good.  I'll
double-check the pulleys, but again, if that was causing the vibration,
I'd expect it to happen all the time, not just when turning right.

> >My mechanic thinks it's
> > something in the system, but isn't sure what.  He hopes it's not the
> > gearbox.  (And everything was freshly lubed a couple of weeks ago.)
> >

> The p/s gearbox seems to be fairly readily availble AFAIK from your local
> parts store.  They can be rebuilt too, but I've been told it's not all that
> fun to do it yourself.

I don't know the cost, but I doubt if it's cheap enough for a "hey,
let's see if this works" type of thing.  I want to look at the draglink
again, too, since it might be welded.  Probably not the safest way to do
it, I'd wager.  Fleckster will make custom draglinks, right?

> > If I can't get this figured out, it's back to manual steering.  Unless I
> > can find info on the power-assisted ram setup I've seen mentioned and
> > can adapt it to my truck's manual setup.
> >

> In the old days, that's what the original pickup truck power steering
> systems used.  Don't you need a rotary valve though for the rams that's
> using your steering collumn somehow?

That's in line with what I've read.  The thing I like about that setup
is if the power steering fails, you just disconnect it and revert to
manual.  I've got no idea on the details, though, and thus no idea on
the feasability or cost of making such a move.

Dave