[ihc] Quick, hide the Scout

> Wouldn't cutting the lock off have done more long term damage?  Since you
> put the fence back up it was how you got to it, but it's hard to put a cut
> lock back together...

Out here in the West, a rancher's fence might well consist of 6 to 8 strings
of barb wire, 4 feet high hog wire, and a variety of stretchers and
tighteners. That rancher's fence had all of that. Big job to undo and put
back up adequately.

> Which gives me pause... why was there a lock on the gate or a gate for that
> matter when it was obviously open on the other side?

The gate was there so that the rancher could access his animals on our side
of the fence. The lock was there so that he could show those damn
Californians who was boss out there on the range.

If some passerby had called the cops, saying that a couple of Jeeps had just
trespassed, it might not have meant much; but if that caller had said that
an old red and white Scout with a half cab on it had just trespassed, the
cops probably wouldn't have had much trouble finding us.

John