Re: [ihc] Could have used Joel's cool tool

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "Joel Furtek" <jf7e@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>;
<ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 11:15
Subject: [ihc] Could have used Joel's cool tool

> on 1/21/04 8:35 AM, Joel Furtek at jf7e@domain.elided wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I had to cut an outboard motor lock (legally!) and tried my
> > trusty sawzall, but it wouldn't touch the case-hardened steel.  I
> > picked up a diamond cutting wheel for the Dremel, and I was through
> > the lock in seconds.  It's almost scary how effective it was.
> > Anyway, with its small size and no cord, such a tool might really
> > come in handy in a lot of projects.  Just thought I'd pass it along.
> > Best to all,
> > Joel
>
> Sure, Joel, now you've helped all the lock cutters on the digest by
telling
> them a better, easier, way to cut locks.
>
> Shame on you. <g>
>
> A couple of years ago, we were up in some very high mountains on the
> California Nevada border. Not the Sierras, but high and remote. We had
> followed a very difficult trail for many miles because the topo maps
showed
> that we could get out on a black top road, not have to back-track, and
still
> see a lot of new country.
>
> After crawling for maybe 3 hours we saw the black-top road ahead and way
> below us. Big sigh of relief!
>
> After crawling down the mountain and across a field, the trail came to a
> locked gate. Crap! Hacksaw? Had one with us, but it wouldn't even mark the
> lock and the lock was on the gate mechanism, not on a chain.
>
> We took the fence down scurried out on the road, put the fence back with
our
> vehicles hopefully blocking the view of passing motorists. That took a
fair
> amount of time and we kept expecting the local law to show up. They
didn't.

> Could have used your tool.
>
> John
>
> John Hofstetter
> www.goldrush.com/~hofs

Wouldn't cutting the lock off have done more long term damage?  Since you
put the fence back up it was how you got to it, but it's hard to put a cut
lock back together...

Which gives me pause... why was there a lock on the gate or a gate for that
matter when it was obviously open on the other side?

Thanks,
Ryan