[ihc] Could have used Joel's cool tool

on 1/21/04 8:35 AM, Joel Furtek at jf7e@domain.elided wrote:

> Anyway, I had to cut an outboard motor lock (legally!) and tried my
> trusty sawzall, but it wouldn't touch the case-hardened steel.  I
> picked up a diamond cutting wheel for the Dremel, and I was through
> the lock in seconds.  It's almost scary how effective it was.
> Anyway, with its small size and no cord, such a tool might really
> come in handy in a lot of projects.  Just thought I'd pass it along.
> Best to all,
> Joel

Sure, Joel, now you've helped all the lock cutters on the digest by telling
them a better, easier, way to cut locks.

Shame on you. <g>

A couple of years ago, we were up in some very high mountains on the
California Nevada border. Not the Sierras, but high and remote. We had
followed a very difficult trail for many miles because the topo maps showed
that we could get out on a black top road, not have to back-track, and still
see a lot of new country.

After crawling for maybe 3 hours we saw the black-top road ahead and way
below us. Big sigh of relief!

After crawling down the mountain and across a field, the trail came to a
locked gate. Crap! Hacksaw? Had one with us, but it wouldn't even mark the
lock and the lock was on the gate mechanism, not on a chain.

We took the fence down scurried out on the road, put the fence back with our
vehicles hopefully blocking the view of passing motorists. That took a fair
amount of time and we kept expecting the local law to show up. They didn't.

Could have used your tool.

John

John Hofstetter
www.goldrush.com/~hofs