Re: [ihc] flash floods

on 1/21/04 9:35 AM, ken.dunnington at ken.dunnington@domain.elided wrote:

> Same here in north central Colorado.  Our avergae annual precip is
> less than 14".  But on occasion...

It's interesting, and odd, when one considers the occurrence of flash
floods.

Last summer we stopped by John Stricker's place in Kansas. He said that the
farmers there needed rain really badly.

So, by the time we reached Kansas City the rain was falling in torrents, and
I called John to congratulate him on having gotten a LOT of rain.

He said something like, We only got an inch, that's nothing. We need real
rain.

About a month later, we were in the Capitol Reef area of Utah. Capitol Reef
had been devastated. The campground was nearly washed away, the roads had
been washed out, the canyons where people hiked had become impassible, and
our after-a-long-day-on-the-trail eating "joint" was sitting in a half
square-mile of 8 inch deep water.

They got a devastating .6 of an inch.

It all depends.

John