Re: Re[2]: [ihc] Magnesium chloride

----- Original Message -----
From: "ken.dunnington" <ken.dunnington@domain.elided>
To: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 18:07
Subject: Re[2]: [ihc] Magnesium chloride

> JMA> Speaking of salt, this brings up another one of my dumb questions.
When
> JMA> people speak of salt, as in "salting the roads", are they talking
about,
> JMA> well... salt? As in sodium chloride? Or is "salt" just slang for some
other
> JMA> de-icing chemical, like the stuff you can buy in bags - magnesium
chloride,
> JMA> I think. Thanks for any insight on this one. -John A.
>
> Hello John
>
> Magnesium chloride is a salt.  Not table salt but it is salt and it
> does promote corrosion.  It is supposed to be more environmentally
> friendly than sodium chloride when used to de-ice roads.

Realistically, it's still not environmentally friendly... can you imagine
what that runoff can do?  It'll kill plants etc etc....  surprised the
environmentalists don't catch onto it and go after the salt instead of the
OHV crowd... the salt does more environmental damage than an off road
vehicle does...

> Just a few years ago Coloradoans were expected to be able to drive on
> snow packed/icy roads with only the help of sand, like they had since
> roads were built.  Then suddenly, the roads needed to be salted(mag
> chloride). It is in liquid solution and is sprayed on the roads
> before the snow arrives.
>
> What a waste of tax dollars.
>
> Ken

A waste of everything...