[ihc] fuel gauge problem

On my '67 T'All, with dual tanks, the fuel gauge has started acting up. One
tank is empty, awaiting new plumbing, and when switched to that one, the
gauge correctly reads empty. However, when switched to the active tank, the
gauge climbs slowly to full, regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.
I've been assuming a switch, sending unit or ground problem, and was
planning on getting to it when things warm up around here, but noticed
something new today that has me puzzled: When I disengage the clutch, the
needle falls to empty. When I engage the clutch (in any gear or neutral), it
climbs back up to full. Now, I would have sworn there could be no connection
between the two systems, but I observed this behavior many times, and it's
always the same. There are no wires misrouted and rubbing against clutch
hydraulics, pushrod, lever, bell housing, etc. Anyone have any idea what
could be causing this? Thanks in advance, -John A.
---